Kona 2012 Race Week: Tuesday

I woke up at 6:30am after another good night’s sleep (I’m hoping this will be a regular pattern for the rest of the week) and immediately put my run gear on for my only session on the day - a 15 minute run with some short intervals above race pace.  It wasn’t even 7am and I had the rest of the day to do as I pleased.  This is just how I like it during race week –getting my training done early and having the rest of the day to relax. 

I was in the queue for registration shortly before it opened at 9am, although there were at least a hundred others who were there ahead of me.

As with most things associated with the event, the process was slick and within 10 minutes I’d signed the waivers, collected my athlete wristband and grabbed my goodie bag.

Before lunch I went down to the pier to meet up with my friend Mark Hughes, who’s here working for Biestmilch.  I first met Mark here in 2010 and it was great to relax for a couple of hours and catch up.  I had a late lunch and spent a couple of hours reading before walking down to the race hotel in time for the Parade of Nations. This is a race week tradition, where all participating athletes are invited to parade through town with their country’s flag.  As it’s done alphabetically, I was alongside my friend Clifford Lee, who is Singapore’s sole representative, so it was great to catch up with him having not seen him since last December.  As always, there were hundreds of spectators in town which made for a fantastic atmosphere.

As soon as the parade ended, Scott and I then went to some friends’ house a few miles down Ali’i Drive for dinner.  It was really nice to spend a relaxing evening talking about things other than triathlon – which can sometimes be a challenge in race week!  After a delicious meal it was time to head back home to get ready for an early night.  It’s been another really fun day here in Kona.  I’m not sure it’s possible to adequately describe just how exciting it is to be here – the atmosphere in race week is magical.